Page 4 of 8
We Love Reading
We engage our learners in reading at every opportunity and foster a love of reading throughout the school day:
- Children regularly take part in guided reading sessions where they read and share their thoughts and ideas about a range of texts as part of the White Wolves scheme.
- We develop inference and deduction skills through whole-class shared reading sessions (see inference and deduction under our literacy section). We regularly complete reading comprehension activities to enable the children to demonstrate the skills that they are learning and apply them independently.
- Each class visits the library weekly with their Class Teacher. We value this time in our well-resourced library where we can read with our children and listen to the development of their reading skills. It is also a great opportunity to help them to select appropriate books to enjoy both at school and home.
Cherry - Monday 2:30pmWillow - Friday 9:00amWalnut - Wednesday 2:30pmSpruce - Thursday 2:30pm
- At the end of each day, teachers share a class text with their children. This provides an excellent opportunity to expand and discuss vocabulary and the styles of different authors and genres. Our current reads are shown below:
Cherry - Goodnight Mr Tom by Michele MogarianWillow - Bad Dad by David WalliamsWalnut - A.N.T.I.D.O.T.E by Malorie BlackmanSpruce - Goodnight Mr Tom by Michele Mogarian
- We have an excellent list of recommended texts for both lower and upper school, all available in our library. The lists are shown below:
Recommended reading list: