Forest School is an inspirational process that originated in Scandinavia in the 1800’s.
It offers learners regular opportunities to achieve and develop confidence and self-esteem through hands-on learning experiences in a woodland or natural environment with trees (Not all learning happens inside the class room).
There are 6 principles of Forest School:
- Forest School will reap the benefits over a long term process of regular sessions rather than one off visits.
- Forest School takes places in a woodland or natural environment to support the development of a strong relationship between learner and environment.
- The target is to promote the development of resilient, confident, creative learners.
- Allow the opportunity to take supported risks appropriate to environment and to themselves.
- Forest School is run by qualified Forest School practitioners who continuously maintain and develop their professional practice (Mr. Chamberlain is currently training)
- Forest School uses a range of learner-centred processes to create a community for development and learning
Mr. Chamberlain has started an “Outdoor club" which allows children to use the tools necessary to begin setting up our Forest School.
We would welcome donations of the following items:
Wellies your children have outgrown, gardening equipment, plants/seeds, any wood that has been cut down, waterproof coats/trousers, and wooly hats/gloves/scarves.
Look at all the things we're learning about and doing in the gallery below:
- Next >>